Please note: in accordance with our usual practice of accepting a new class two consecutive years and then skipping a year, we will next accept a class for fall 2019. We will not accept a class for fall 2018.
Chapel Hill: By appointment in the Center for Dramatic Art on the UNC Campus.
New York: By appointment and through the University/Resident Theatre Association’s National Unified Auditions and Interviews.
Chicago: By appointment and through the University/Resident Theatre Association’s National Unified Auditions and Interviews.
Audition Guidelines for those applying directly to the program through the Graduate School at UNC Chapel Hill:
- Prospective students should complete an online application to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill here. For more information about the Graduate School go here. Note: The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required for admission to the MFA Acting program.
- Send a resumé, statement of purpose, three letters of recommendation, and two official college transcripts directly to:
MFA Acting Program, Center for Dramatic Art
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3230
- Submission of a recent photograph (standard actor’s head shot) is not required but is helpful to the audition process.
- Once your application materials are received you will be contacted to schedule your audition, and given your choice of Chapel Hill, New York, or Chicago. For questions on the application process, please call the Department of Dramatic Art at 919-962-1132.
- For the audition, candidates should prepare two contrasting selections – one in verse from Shakespeare, one contemporary – each approximately two minutes long. For applicants who sing, a brief acappella selection is welcome.
Fellowships and Financial Aid:
The Professional Actor Training Program is committed to limiting debt burden for our MFA students and strives to offer as much financial aid as possible as soon as possible to as many students as possible. For information regarding financial aid through the UNC Graduate School go here. Applicants seeking financial aid from the University must submit the FAFSA form to the College Scholarship Service, Princeton, NJ by March 1 for priority consideration.
PATP Actors must do everything in their power, beginning when they arrive, to insure that they achieve North Carolina residency after a year in the state.